3.05.2013

the un-painting

When we were painting the bathroom several months ago, we (I mean I) forgot to paint the inside of the bathroom door the same color as the rest of the wood trim. It bothered me. But I didn't feel like hauling out the paint can, stirring it up and getting the paint brush messy after I had put everything away. At some point I solicited Alex to finish the job, and he did. The only problem is that he also painted the outside of the bathroom door (the side facing the hallway). This would have been fine except the trim in the hallway is a different color than the trim in the bathroom, so we had a random blue-grey door in our otherwise white hallway. It bothered me.

After staring at the door for months--wondering when I would be bored enough to paint it back to its original color--I noticed a tiny imperfection in the paint last Saturday morning. It was kind of a hole in the paint, so I pulled at it and to my surprise (and delight!) I peeled a long strip off the door. Just like that--no mess, no fuss, and no damage to the layer of paint below. Catcher was standing there as it happened, and suddenly I had a Saturday morning project that everyone was excited about. Check it out:
















The story isn't quite over yet, however, because only about 90% of the paint has been peeled off. It turns out that the project works better when Tillie is napping because otherwise she tries to eat the paint scraps that have fallen to the floor. I'll finish it someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment