8.02.2010

plan b

One of the things I love most about decorating is being able to call an audible at the line of scrimmage (borrowing an analogy from my husband). When I first found a Vladimir Kagan lookalike chair on eBay (see my favorite color), I envisioned recovering the plastic-covered, palm-tree cushion in F. Schumacher's Chiang Mai fabric. However, after receiving the fabric--from another eBay source--I decided it's simply too fun to use on such a small project. So I have another plan for that fabric (I'll elaborate on a later date) and in the meantime I'm back on eBay scouring fabric remnants from "to the trade" designers such as Lee Jofa, Donghia, Osborne & Little and Kravet. The only problem I have now is choosing just one of these fabrics. Each time I see a pattern I like, my mind runs wild designing pillows and thinking of furniture to cover. So many fabrics; so little projects.

Catcher testing out the eBay chair dressed in Chiang Mai

Another look at Vladimir Kagan's Lucite chairs; image from 1st dibs

Option 1: Osborne & Little's Berber fabric
Option 2: Osborne & Little "Fez"
Option 3: Osborne & Little's Suzani fabric

I found all three fabrics pictured above on eBay. Each piece measures around 26"x26", which is just enough to cover the chair's cushion. Now I need to decide which fabric works best. I originally thought the chair would sit at my desk, but the cushion is about an inch-and-a-half too low to work comfortably. Once again: an audible is necessary. Although I don't have room for the chair in my living room currently, it would make an excellent reading chair or a comfortable place to curl up while zoning out in front of the television. At the moment, I'm leaning toward Fez--I like the retro vibe and the contrasting pop of color from the red and turquoise. The auctions don't end for another 19 days, so I have some time to think about it. And if I change my mind again, any of the fabrics would make lovely pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment