8.04.2010

what's in a name

Scout bag by Petunia Pickle Bottom available from Posh Tots

I apologize in advance to any mom out there that I might offend with the following statement, but diaper bags are lame. Even the so-called "hip" bags scream "I'm a dorky mom!" I never carried an actual "diaper bag" with Catcher, but I was able to find a great street bag by Dunlin with plenty of pockets, etc. for hauling around all your baby essentials (many of which you don't need, by the way).

With the impending arrival of Scout, I set my sights on finding a messenger style that would serve as the proverbial diaper bag. Not only are messenger bags "in" fashion at the moment, but after schlepping Catcher's things around on my shoulder for over a year, I discovered it's much more efficient to be hands-free when carting a baby around town. Steering clear of actual diaper bags, my search led me through online galleries of leather bags, canvas bags, compact bags and oversized bags; bags in black, brown and blue and bags in red, green or yellow. However, I never landed on the right bag at the right price...until last night when I happened upon a diaper bag, of all things, called the Scout. I knew it was meant to be.

Never mind that the bag's designer is Petunia Pickle Bottom (the name sends chills down my spine); the bag is exactly what I had envisioned for myself with a price tag under $150. It turns out that the only feature I don't like about the bag--bottle holders on the outside that give away its true identity--is removable. The irony of having my search for a non-diaper-bag diaper bag end with me owning a real diaper bag is not lost on me, so call me a dorky mom. Perhaps I'm even dorkier than I thought since my daughter's name is prominently displayed on the inside and out (did I mention I hate monograms?).


No comments:

Post a Comment