8.23.2010

light up my life

When we were visiting Sleepy Poet last Sunday, I was fascinated by the myriad of light fixtures hanging from the industrial ceiling. Lighting is one of those crazy design elements that is at once simple yet complicated. On the most basic level, the purpose of a fixture is to bring light to a room, but it's so much more than that. The right light can serve as a room's focal point and completely define a space. I've changed every light fixture in our house (some more than once) and wish there were more rooms to attack with my lighting prowess.

The quatrafoils add a touch of "churchiness" to this piece. I would love too see it hanging in the entryway of a modern home; totally unexpected.


A simple way to add a touch of elegance to an otherwise blase chandelier is to coat it in shiny black spray paint--instant drama.


I have a thing about twigs and antlers--what can I say?


It must be my inner geek talking because I love this fixture that reminds me of Julius Caesar and my days studying Roman history. I totally see this in a wood-panelled library (not 70s wood-panelled).


I love this oversized chandelier that resembles a giant jellyfish. With a grandma Tiffany-inspired shade that cascades into layers of capiz shells gone awry, I've never seen anything so gaudy yet inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment