8.20.2010

closet clean-out take 2

My closet strategy: take everything out and start anew.

I don't know if there's such a thing as postpartum nesting, but if there is it came over me in a big way last night. I've been putting off the cleaning of my closet for months and last night I decided it was finally time to take the bull by the reigns. Maybe it's because I'm ready for fall and happy to not be pregnant for a season and anxious that the house won't sell and I'll be stuck with this closet forever. Whatever the reason, I knew it was time. When I woke to feed Scout in the middle of the night, it was all I could think about and I couldn't wait until 8:00am when my project could finally begin (yes--I'm a dork).

The entire contents of my closet on my bed. It eerily reminds me of an episode of "Hoarders."

When I saw everything laid out on my bed, my initial plan was to get rid of 50%--part of it would go to my sister, part to goodwill and the remaining would find its way into our garbage can. Of course I couldn't really ditch half of my closet, but I did put a good dent in it. At least now I have an idea of what I need (or more importantly, what I don't need) for fall.

Halfway through the process my husband came in to collect the empty hangers that he claims were properly his (we've had this ongoing argument regarding hanger ownership for years).


One last look at what my closet looked like a month ago.

My more organized, albeit still cramped, closet.

I called my husband in to admire my work when I was finished. Beaming like a kindergartner who just received her first gold star, I asked what he thought. "It looks bigger...right?" I asked. "I mean. At least it looks less cluttered." And his reply: "Yeah. To you." So I guess I still have some work ahead of me. The better solution would be to just get a bigger closet.

1 comment:

  1. Cannot wait to receive contents of said closet...

    ReplyDelete