8.13.2010

shrinkage





keepcalmandcarryon.com

My house shrank this week. At least it felt like it did. Having two kids in 900 square feet (actually 847 square feet to be accurate) isn't as hippy-romantic-artist-chic as I had imagined it would be. The facts are these: one bathroom for four people is completely insane; 90% of everyone's time is spent in one room (the living room) where there's one sofa and one television; the dining room is currently serving as a storage unit for the baby's stroller, car seat, play mat and whatever gifts arrive from the grandmothers that week; I'm losing my mind. 

No matter how many loads of laundry I do in a week or how many times I vacuum and clean the bathroom and pick up the things scattered about the house, the space gets no bigger. So in the midst of my anxiety that the house will never sell and we're sentenced to a life of 847 square feet, I'm reminded of a phrase that the British government used during World War II to keep up the spirits of its countrymen: Keep Calm and Carry On. I find the phrase very fitting in today's economy, and it looks like I'm not the only one...

Image from Domino magazine

sfgirlbybay


apartment therapy

flickr

1 comment:

  1. That is a good mantra, as well as my personal favorite that you have heard from your mom for years: "this too shall pass"....and it will...and you will sell the house and you will have your dream house...somehow...someway...sometime...Keep believing!!

    ReplyDelete