8.05.2010

push it

1st prize: Ileana Makri diamond thread band



After the agonizing hours of labor and the after-effects of childbirth; once you're home from the hospital with a healthy, beautiful new baby; when your nights are sleepless and your days are hazy, you're ready for a badge of honor--i.e. the "push present."

I don't know the origins of the push present, or push "prize" as I like to call it, but the idea is flawless: the husband honors his wife for going through something that at times seemed impossible, and the child receives an instant heirloom as a future birthday present. After Catcher I received a diamond pave band that I will one day hand down to him to give the girl of his dreams (pending my approval, of course). And now that Scout is here, I will once again be rewarded for my valiant efforts in the delivery room. Because Alex understands my species--that of the female variety--he has asked me to point him in the right direction for picking the perfect prize. He told me he'd like to find "a beautiful necklace." I have a few ideas:

Hammered number pendant from Love Rocks NY


How cute is this? Number two deserves a number two, don't you think? Seeking an alternative to the ubiquitous diamond initial necklace, when I saw this number I knew its simplicity and quirkiness was right in line with my taste. I also love the chain, which feels a little retro and dog tag-ish.

Campise hummingbird necklace available at Ron Herman

Hush little baby, don't say a word
Papa's gonna buy you a hummingbird?

Yes, Scout's name came from the book To Kill a Mockingbird, so I thought it would be cute to find a mockingbird necklace. The closest I could find was this hummingbird. I've never really been a "bird" person, but there's something enchanting about this little guy.

Ruby circle necklace from Scosha

July's birthstone is the ruby. Although I've never been a huge fan of the stone, it takes on a new meaning when one (or both) of your children has it as a birthstone. This sweet, unassuming ruby pendant necklace from New York designer Scosha is perfect. 

Of course the best prize of all is a healthy baby, but who doesn't want a little bling to show off?

No comments:

Post a Comment