6.04.2010

my favorite color

I remember once when I was in high school at some sort of leadership function where we were forced to wear name tags and say something interesting about ourselves, I wrote "Hi, my name is Sarah and my favorite color is clear." At the time I thought I was just being a witty 16 year-old, but the phrase has turned out to be a prophecy for my taste in home decorating. As I look around my house, I see that I am drawn to clear plastic (or rather "Lucite") furniture. It all started with this coffee table from CB2:


The table replaced the moving boxes that my husband and I had used as a coffee table for six months, and it's turned out to be a great investment with a toddler in the house--unbreakable, virtually scratch-proof and smudge-proof. From the coffee table, I moved on to Philippe Starck's Louis Ghost Armchair, a longtime obsession of mine:



I originally purchased one as an desk chair and then decided to get three more and use them in the dining room. The only downside to this decision was being left without a chair for the desk. For the past two years I've been waiting for the right chair to come along when, lo and behold, I just discovered something that would be perfect. Yes--it's clear (and plastic):

Image from 1stdibs.com

This vintage Vladimir Kagan chair fits right into my design sense; however, with a price tag that stretches into the $1,000's, it's not an option. Determined to see my dream come to fruition, I've been scouring eBay and came up with this suitable alternative:


The resemblance to the Kagan chair is amazing, and if I get rid of the grandma-inspired palm tree cushion, it would beautifully compliment my red parsons desk. If I win the chair, my next mission will be to find the perfect fabric to reupholster the seat. Actually, I already have an idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment