6.11.2010

found art

Images from www.paletydhp.pl/en

For my 30th birthday I hosted my own party in our backyard and hired a DJ complete with karaoke machine to commemorate the milestone (I even had t-shirts made and named the event Wheatstock so we could forever refer to it as such). The gift my husband gave me that year was an 8' x 8' patio. I know it sounds like a strange gift, but it turned out to be perfect for the event as it became a stage during renditions of Ice Ice Baby, Busta Move, I Love Rock and Roll and the like. Did I mention that my husband built the patio himself with pavers and a do-it-yourself book he purchased at the Home Depot? I was actually quite impressed with the result since I'd never seen this type of "handyman" work come from him.


The point of the above anecdote is that my husband's project led me to what I consider one of my more clever ideas (although it has yet to come to fruition). My husband brought the pavers home on a palette similar to those pictured above; thus, I saw a brilliant piece of "found art." I pictured hanging the palette on a huge, blank wall and imagined the conversation it would provoke. Of course, what I didn't realize was how incredibly heavy--and large--the palettes are, and I'm not sure our 60 year-old plaster walls could handle such a task. However, I haven't forgotten the idea and plan to find the perfect space for it in our next house.

By the way, I'm wearing a Wheatstock t-shirt as I write this. Remember Wheatstock? So great...

No comments:

Post a Comment