6.22.2010

all jacked up


I'm not British, nor do I pretend to be (as my sister pretends to be Irish...don't ask). However, I do find the Union Jack flag to be somewhat of a style icon and think its classic red, white and blue palette would be a great starting point for decorating Catcher's next room. I am aware, of course, that the American flag is also comprised of red, white and blue but it feels a little country to me when used in decoration (unless we're talking about a painting by Jasper Johns).

During the year that I attended the New York School of Interior Design, I was taught that a rug should be the first thing you choose when decorating a room. Although I'm not one to follow the rules steadfastly, I do think a Union Jack rug is an excellent launching pad for designing a little boy's bedroom. My first choice would be the one Vivienne Westwood designed for The Rug Company (pictured below; photo courtesy of The Rug Company), but its hefty price tag forces me to search for a suitable alternative.


While I'm looking for a less-expensive option, enjoy these other rooms incorporating the Union Jack motif:

One of my favorite all-time spaces once featured in Domino magazine. Although the Union Jack reference is subdued, it balances beautifully with the pristine white room and artwork by Damien Hirst.

Another great showcase of the British flag pictured in the now-defunct Domino magazine.

Interior by Dan Marty featured in the March 2009 issue of Western Interiors & Design. Two things I love: antlers and the Union Jack.

Another room designed by Dan Marty scattering the flag motif on pillows throughout the room. Image from House and Home.

A vintage quilt serves as the main focal point in this quaint bedroom; photo courtesy of Elle Decor.

The Jubilee wall hanging designed by Vogue's Lucinda Chambers for The Rug Company made tapestries cool again when it was introduced in 2002. Photo from House to Home.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately when God was deciding who among the Sprinkel children would have the creativity, style, wit, and humor, He completely forgot about the eldest and instead gave it all to the 2nd, and some to the 3rd. Wait - that doesn't add up - so the eldest apparently didn't get the brains either. Let's start over...instead he gave most to the 2nd and some to the 3rd. Whatever. At least the eldest got the looks. The 2nd and 3rd may disagree, so have pity on me and please just let me believe that I am Irish. That's all I ask. It is my claim to fame. You wouldn't believe how many people think it's super cool that I'm 1/16 Irish, especially when I tell them on St. Patrick's Day after they've had one too many. "You're Irish? How cool! You don't speak Irish." My goodness, my Guinness...I need a drink. Love ya, sis! This is seriously the best blog ever! I love the Union Jack sofa and quilt, btw.

    ReplyDelete