6.16.2010

i need a new drink

For the past ten years or so, my "signature drink" has been a Stoli Dirty Martini. It started when I moved to Manhattan and was ready to abandon the Jim Beam and Coke that dominated my college years at the University of Virginia (I once referred to this concoction as a "sweet treat" and now the thought of it sets off a gag reflex). The first year or two that I lived in the city I toyed around with several drink options--Stoli O on the rocks was a popular first choice--until I finally settled on the Stoli Dirty Martini.  I think I originally chose Stoli because it sounds more sophisticated than something like Absolut, and I never abandoned it for the more "en vogue" vodkas Grey Goose or Belvedere.

The Stoli Dirty Martini served as the signature cocktail at our wedding, and anyone who knows me knows exactly what to order for me when we're out on the town. I was initially drawn to this idea of having a signature drink because I thought it somehow defined you and was something you could be remembered by (but as I get older, I'm not sure I want to hear anyone say "you know my Grandma...she's the one who drinks the dirty martinis"). So I need a new repertoire of drinks from which to choose, and what better time to re-invent myself than after the baby is born? Here are some fun options that I can work into my drink rotation:

The Dark 'n Stormy: I first had this drink at Bobby Flay's restaurant Bar Americain in New York. With just two simple ingredients--dark rum and ginger beer--it doesn't sound like much, but it packs a serious punch. And it's quite tasty, too!


The Mojito: It's Margarita's Cuban cousin--more refreshing and refined. It's been hot on the drink scene for a while now, but it's a still a great summer concoction that should be enjoyed with gusto.



Lychee on the Rocks: Last year while visiting a couple friends in New York, one of them presented me with a light, refreshing lychee-flavored cocktail that was sweet (but not too sweet) and not too strong. Although the liqueur only recently launched in the United States under the brand name Soho, it's been a staple in Asia for years, where my friend has traveled extensively. It's perfect poured straight from the bottle over ice.



Vodka Soda: Sometimes you need something reliable and simple (and easy going down). While it's not glamorous, it's not going out of style either. If you need an extra something, simply get creative with your vodka choices when ordering this old standby.

No comments:

Post a Comment