6.14.2010

lovely little bungalow

photos courtesy of carolinahome.com

Five years ago I would have loved this house. Built in 1928 and located in Elizabeth, one of my favorite neighborhoods in Charlotte, it has all the character and charm you'd hope for in a lovely little bungalow. My son and I visited an open house here yesterday, and what would have drawn me to the house five years ago is what has me running in the opposite direction today: the hardwood floors in need of refinishing, the outdated kitchen and bathroom, the traditional nature of the house that's calling for me to set it apart by juxtaposing my modern decor. While I still find the home charming--and it is certainly ripe for renovations to be custom-tailored to my own design sense--I'm not feeling up to the challenge (and honestly, I'm looking for a little more closet space).


This house boasts the ubiquitous "rocking chair front porch," which is standard on most bungalows you see in Charlotte. When I first moved here, all I wanted was an adorable front porch. I pictured myself rocking the days away with a mint julep or some other southern cocktail in hand; however, I've grown to realize that people here don't really use their front porches. Perhaps it's because we aren't living in the 1950s or it's the simple lack of privacy that keeps people away from their porches, but I've decided a courtyard or amazing backyard space would be better suited for the outdoor living that is possible three seasons out of the year in Charlotte.




Inside, the "charming" living and dining rooms retain much of the home's original character with 9-foot ceilings, crown molding and worn (but nevertheless beautiful) hardwood floors.  Although I've been known to tear down crown molding and ebonize original hardwoods, the house has everything a girl moving to the south from New York City could dream of. But this girl has evolved over the past five years and is looking for something a little less traditional.




Although the smaller bedrooms don't scare me away, it's the tiny closets that snap me back into reality. I'm not asking for a separate changing room or walk-in-closet the size of my current home but a couple hanging racks and maybe some shelf space for shoes and a light...a light would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment