6.01.2010

art for the rest of us


Because I'm already decorating my next home in my mind, and because I've decided that I've reached a point in my life where I need to own artwork--and because I don't have a slush fund of cash required to begin collecting original pieces--I've been searching online for affordable art. A great site that I recently discovered is WOW (Works on Whatever), part Art Production Fund's WOW project, which brings "art off of walls and into homes as everyday objects."Spectrum, pictured above, is a printed canvas "prop art" reproduction of a piece by artist Richard Phillips and can sass up your home for just $250.

A favorite site of mine for discovering new artists is Charming Wall. A gallery located in New York's West Village, Charming Wall provides fine art prints from a motley crew of artists for just $20 each. I've purchased two prints from the site, and I'm totally happy with the variety and quality. My only wish is that they offered more print sizes--I'd be willing to pay for a larger version of Matthew Doubek's Brought Down by a Winchester Last Tuesday.

I just discovered 20x200 a couple weeks ago, and I can't stop thinking about these pants. Another site who's mission is to bring art to everyone, 20x200 introduces new editions every week and offers most works in three or four sizes (starting at $20 for 8"x10" up to $2,000 for 30"x40"). They only produce a certain number of prints in each size, so check the site often if you can't stop thinking about Patsy Cline and Hank Williams by Mark Ulriksen.

If you have plenty of time on your hands and the patience to sift through all the still life with fruit, etsy offers thousands of choices for fine artwork. I personally don't have the willpower to keep my mind from wandering as I click through one mixed media piece to the next, but I don't doubt there are great works to be discovered.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/01/2010

    I like old school black and white photos of sporting events...there is something about seeing what the players used to wear; short shorts and tube socks....none of this Under Armour stuff. Plus, if you're lucky and there are shots of the crowd in the background, the hairdos and the wardrobes say it all.

    ReplyDelete