5.31.2010

370 beech street

370 Beech Street in Highland Park, Illinois has several monikers; however, arguably the most famous is the home of Cameron Frye in the 1986 classic flick Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Although it appears somewhat lackluster set in the context of sullen Cameron Frye's adolescence--minus the scene when his father's Ferrari plummets through a giant pane of glass--the house is actually a mid-century gem and one of my favorite houses from a film.


Designed by architects A. James Speyer and David Haid and built in 1953, the steel-frame and glass house is also known as the Ben Rose Home (photographer Ben Rose once owned the property). In real life, I prefer the city over the country and would much rather dodge criminals on the subway than predators crawling out of the woods, but there's something about the 5300 square-foot home situated in the woods over a ravine that makes even the city girl inside of me long for a little nature. Perhaps it's because the glass walls that encompass the space are inherently modern and allow you to "view" nature without "roughing it."



When it was last sold, the house went for $2.3 million. Maybe my dreams of living in the country will have to wait.

Photos from Sotheby's Realty

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/13/2014

    My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different
    web page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you.

    Look forward to looking at your web page repeatedly.


    Here is my webpage - rubber flooring

    ReplyDelete