6.23.2010

a great place by a great lake


My son is home sick today, it's 97 degrees outside and I need to start preparing for our weekend trip to Milwaukee where we'll party like it's 1995 at my husband's 15-year high school reunion. I'm 35 weeks pregnant, by the way, and the cutoff date for flying is 36 weeks. In addition, Catcher is 23 months, three weeks old and still qualifies as a "lap" baby (i.e. free ticket) on the flight, so it should be an interesting trip.

For those of you who've never visited Milwaukee, I have to say--not because I've been brainwashed by my mother-in-law--that it's actually a nice place and not just the city that made beer famous. A word to the wise, however, is to avoid the months of November - April. Other than Laverne & Shirley, beer, brats and Butchkies, here are some highlights from "the good land."

The Milwaukee Art Museum (MAM) designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava was the first Calatrava-designed building in the United States (go Milwaukee!). Overlooking Lake Michigan, it is truly an architectural marvel. One of Alex's friends was married here in 2007, and we got some great interior shots from the event:

interior view overlooking Lake Michigan

 architectural detail

Alex and me celebrating at the reception inside the MAM



Is that burger swimming in a plate of butter? If you have to ask then you haven't visited Solly's Grille in Milwaukee. Although I'd like to be on board in endorsing this gastronomical wonder, I have to admit that just one (people here order them in twos) left me feeling a little sluggish and underwhelmed. Sorry, honey!

Photograph of Milwaukee's Third Ward by local photographer Jonathan Bailey

In my opinion to be considered a great city, you need a great downtown area and Milwaukee's Historic Third Ward does not disappoint. This is where you'll find your typical downtown delights like trendy boutiques, fashionable urban dwellings, art galleries and a bustling nightlife. Does it sound like I'm writing a tourist guide?

View of Milwaukee from Lake Michigan; photo by Ken Wardius

But perhaps the best thing about Milwaukee is that it's only 90 miles from Chicago. Although both cities are bordered by Lake Michigan, you cannot see Chicago from Milwaukee on a clear day. I fell for that one.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/24/2010

    go der hey...should be a great time. going to Summerfest too...Tom Petty and ZZ Top with The Coaches.

    ReplyDelete