6.05.2011

oh, deer!


Yesterday morning (early morning...like 6:15 early) I was sprucing up the house for our showing that afternoon. And before you ask: yes, I'm a crazy person who likes to clean; no, I'm not that crazy--the kids were up and playing in the living room, so I figured I would make the best use of my time. What else are you going to do at 6:15am? But back to the story. So I was wiping down the countertops in the kitchen when something moving down the driveway caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. Slightly startled, I quickly turned toward the window to see a white-tailed deer swishing down the driveway like it was nobody's business. "Catcher!" I yelled. "Hurry! I want you to see something." With a furry that could only be repeated if Diego himself were calling his name, Catcher came bounding into the kitchen to see what all the hoopla was about. I scooped Scout up off the floor, and the three of us gathered on the side porch to check out the deer, which had suddenly become two, now standing at the end of our driveway. They must have heard all the commotion (or disturbance, more likely) because they both turned their heads toward us with ears perked. For a slight moment I had visions of being mauled by a deer in my own driveway. What the heck were they doing in our neighborhood, anyway? Where did they come from? Independence Avenue [inside Charlotte joke...sorry]?

Catcher was less than impressed with the sighting, I must admit. I guess they didn't hold a candle to the leather back sea turtles that Diego was prattling on about, but I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe I don't get out much. Or maybe I thought it would be an interesting note to add to our MLS report, "Park like setting in the backyard replete with wildlife."


No comments:

Post a Comment