6.21.2011

our new place



With 38 days to go before our departure from Charlotte, this is the most prepared I've ever been for a big move. When I moved to New York City in 1999 I had no job and no apartment. It actually took me longer to find an apartment than to find a job, but the apartment was great and the job not so much. When Alex and I moved to Charlotte in 2005, I once again found myself without a job or a place to live. We stayed in a hotel for two months (can you believe?) and our lives revolved around a queen-sized bed and a receptionist named Pam. [Side note: this "hotel" was not exactly located within the city limits of Charlotte. The closest entertainment was a sketchy movie theater and the Red Lobster where throngs of people donning fanny packs would line up on a Saturday night...where had we moved?].

Now it's 2011, and with the birth of two children and ownership of my first home under my belt, I'm ready to make a move the big girl way. I still don't have a job in Austin (I'm working on it) but Alex and I are in the process of signing a lease. After weeks of research trying to figure out the "perfect" neighborhood and listening to everyone's opinion who lives in Austin or did live in Austin or once drove through Austin or has seen a picture of Austin, I finally landed on Berkshire Soco. The apartment we're renting is the smallest of the two bedrooms--it was all that was available for our move-in date--but at 1188 square feet, it will be the biggest place I've ever lived during my adult life. There are two bathrooms and two walk in closets! I know my excitement may seem silly to those who have basements and bonus rooms and sun rooms and breakfast nooks and all that jazz, but for a girl who started out in 300 square feet and has lived with a family of four in 847 square feet, this is huge. Not to mention the modern amenities such as a pool and valet dry cleaning and on-site gym. I may never want to leave this place...until some wild youngsters pull the fire alarm and wake us up at 2:00am.





No comments:

Post a Comment