1.21.2013

zoo station

Disclaimer: I have not been to the zoos in Houston or San Antonio, so don't hate me for my broad generalization regarding Texas zoos. 

There are some things Texas does well (like margaritas and barbecue) and some things where we're lacking (like pumpkin patches and, I discovered today, zoos). The Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary is more animal sanctuary than zoo with its gravel paths and rescue animals, but we did get to watch a pig eat. The pigs were pretty cool.

The zoo didn't have your usual polar bears or elephants or hippos. There were no zebras or giraffes, but I was surprised to see several Bengal tigers (not pictured--I accidentally deleted that photo) among the peacocks and parrots. (I mean, the peacocks and parrots weren't in the same enclosure as the tigers, but you know what I'm saying.) There was also this goat [below] that freaked out Scout.

It was pretty funny. She didn't like the way it was looking at her, so she started to cry. They also had a bearcat, which I honestly didn't know was a real animal until today, and giant turtles and some cool monkeys. Actually, now that I think about it, our little trip to the "zoo" was pretty fun. It just wasn't a zoo in the sense that I think of a zoo...when I think of zoos...

No comments:

Post a Comment