1.18.2013

s/he's so cute


When Catcher was a baby, I was told on more than one occasion how adorable she was. With Scout, a man sitting next to me on the plane asked me why I put her in blue socks after mistakenly saying "he" when referring to her. I don't take offense when strangers call him a her--or vice versa--because it's really hard to tell who is what. I've made the mistake myself (with other babies, not my own). But perhaps the best case of mistaken identity I've come across involved Tillie and the checkout lady at the Target a few weeks ago.

Tillie was dressed in jeggings and a herringbone swing coat over a purple tunic. You couldn't really see the top under her coat, but she was also wearing pink sparkly socks. I understand that the jegging/coat combo could be mistaken for boys' wear in a chic European baby way, but the socks were all girl.

Checkout Lady [to me]: He's so cute.

Me [not wanting to correct her]: Thanks.

Checkout Lady [to Tillie]: Yes, you are. You are so cute.

Me: [awkward smile].

Checkout Lady [to Tillie]: Look at you. You look just like a little man. I mean, you are a little man.

Me: [nervous laugh].

Checkout Lady [to me]. He is such a little man. How adorable.

Me: [another awkward smile...thinking it has gone too far to correct her at this point while trying to conceal the pink socks--dead giveaway--so I don't have to correct her and embarrass us both].

Checkout Lady [to herself]: I mean. Just like a little man. So cute.

Receipt printing. We're free...phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment