1.09.2013

rainy day #2


Another rainy day in Austin. I knew I had to come up with something to keep the kids from trampling all over each other this afternoon. But first I had to make it through the morning with Scout. While Catcher was in school and Tillie was home napping under Alex's watch, I decided on a trip to the grocery store. I knew we had to get out of the house before cabin fever set in, and the grey morning had zapped me of any creative ideas. Besides, Scout was asking for snacks and we needed more coffee for the house. As painful as the grocery store can be with kids, it can also offer endless possibilities (samples!).

When we got to the Central Market, the outside awning was adorned with posters announcing Citrus Fest--get your grove on! I didn't realize it at first, but the 60's psychedelic art had planted a tiny seed in my head.

While Scout sampled every variety of orange, mandarin and grapefruit imaginable, I was drawn to the limes. Somewhere from the depths of my food memories emerged the image of a delicious cornmeal lime cookie from Amy's Bread in New York. A quick google search on my iPhone resulted in a recipe that didn't sound too intimidating (meaning I'd heard of all the ingredients and knew where to find them in the grocery store). I knew Catcher would be on board with the idea of baking cookies, so I threw five limes in a bag and headed toward the baking aisle. It turns out I was getting my grove on after all.







The cookies turned out pretty amazing, I must say. Check out the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment