1.22.2013

it's a kumquat


Alex and I had this conversation last week.

Me: They're having this Citrus Event at Central Market, and they have kumquats.

Alex: Really?

Me: Yeah. I saw them on the poster, but then when I got in the store I was distracted and forgot to look for them. Have you had a kumquat?

Alex: Yeah. They're awesome.

Me: I know. I've only had them once in my life, but they're really cool. I kind of want a kumquat tree.

Alex: Mmmm. Hmmm.

Fast forward one week, and this is the conversation I had with Alex yesterday (Catcher included).

Catcher: [Holding up a kumquat to Alex] Dad. Do you want one of these?

Alex: What is that?

Catcher: Um. I don't remember. Mom, what is this thing again?

Me: What thing?

Alex: I'll try it. How are you supposed to eat this? [Turning the kumquat over in his hand suspiciously].

Me: A kumquat? That's a kumquat. I remembered to get some at the Central Market today.

Alex: [blank stare].

Me: You just eat the whole thing. I thought you loved kumquats. That's what you said last week when we had this conversation.

Alex: Oh. I thought we were talking about apricots.

Me: You thought I've only had an apricot once in my life?

Catcher: I like apricots.

Alex: [Swallowing the kumquat]. These things are weird. It's like eating an orange rind.

Me: Sort of, but way better.

Catcher: Do you want another one, Dad?

Alex: Not right now buddy, thanks.

Me: I'll eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment