2.27.2011

and the oscar goes to:


Back in my twenties, when I had more time to myself than I knew what to do with, I would see every movie nominated for an Academy Award--including Best Foreign Picture when I could I find it at the Angelika--and my friend would host a big Oscar party (gowns optional...I'm kidding) as we challenged one another with our knowledge of film. One time I even fashioned an Oscar statue out of Christmas-themed cookie cutters and brought them to the party. True story.

Fast forward ten years plus one husband and two kids later, and anyone who has children knows that movies are the first thing to go on your social calendar (especially before the little ones are too young to sit through Disney Pixar's latest masterpiece). So my new Oscar tradition has become choosing one nominated movie to watch per year and then throwing my arms up in disbelief if the chosen one fails to take home the coveted statue of Best Picture. However, since I started this little tradition in 2009, my record is 2-0. In 2009 I went with the obvious favorite Slumdog Millionaire, but last year I consider myself lucky by correctly choosing The Hurt Locker (actually, I just wanted James Cameron to loose to his ex-wife). This year I'm going against the favorite (The King's Speech) and picking The Social Network. Alex and I watched it the other night, and he liked it so much he briefly considered getting a facebook account. That's kind of a big deal and worth a statue to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment