8.29.2011

robots and dinosaurs


At the expense of sounding like a "Mommy blogger," I have to make mention of another milestone that has taken place since our move to Austin: Catcher is now potty trained. Like most parents (especially those of boys, I understand) we've been struggling with this for the past seven or eight months. One day a few weeks ago after all the boxes were unpacked and the TV/Internet was still a phantom on the horizon, I decided I had changed my last poopy diaper courtesy of a stubborn three year-old. I had three pairs of "big boy" underwear that I had purchased months ago when I was feeling particularly ambitious after Catcher had shown his first interest in the potty. So armed with one pair of robot and dinosaur undies, I attacked with the strongest weapon I had--the promise of a cupcake from the cupcake truck if he was dry all day. Round one: Mom.

Crafty is my middle name, so I was ready for day two (I had only given Catcher half of the cupcake the night before, so I had a bribe in waiting). Apparently stubborn is my son's middle name. Round two: Catcher. On the third day, however, after seeing the half cupcake still hanging out in the fridge and realizing the only way to get it was to give in to my ridiculous bribing, Catcher decided a cupcake was better than wet pants. Round three: Mom.

And that was that. We've had one little accident since the day he finally conceded, but after a shopping trip to the mall where Catcher was able to pick out his new undies--airplanes, more dinosaurs, fire trucks and helicopters--the only problem now is getting him to wear the rest of his clothing instead of prancing around the house half naked all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment