8.26.2011

27 days, part 2

I feel like we were in New Orleans a lifetime ago. Here's what we did: ate fancy donuts and drank cafe au lait for breakfast at the world-famous Cafe Du Monde, took a carriage ride around the French Quarter (saw the Jolie-Pitt residence), went to the flea market (forget what it's called) in the French Quarter, hauled a couple tired and sweaty kids around, walked about two blocks on Bourbon Street and promptly turned around, decided New Orleans is not kid friendly, ate some Cajun (or is it Creole?) food for lunch, took a nap at the hotel, put the kids to bed early, sent Alex out for McFlurries for dinner, woke up and said goodbye to the crescent city.

I'm sure New Orleans is charming to some in its own way, but I don't think I'll go back. When we left on Monday morning, I no longer cared about driving through the Garden District to see the stately mansions (or anything else I may have missed). I just wanted to get on the road to Austin. New Orleans is one of those places where you leave feeling dirty and like you've been swindled in some way. I'm glad I got to see it, but I'm also glad I didn't spend actual vacation time and money there. Maybe if I had run in to Harry Connick, Jr. I would feel differently. At any rate, here's a look at our little trip through NOLA:











No comments:

Post a Comment