8.18.2011

happy 300!

I just realized this is my 300th post! I don't know that it means anything, but it seems like a big number. Perhaps I should be making this one special since I've drawn attention to the fact that it's number 300, but I already had something in mind before I began...

I would never consider myself a foodie by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I often joke that I'm more into the drinks and atmosphere than the actual food at any given restaurant; however, I do have a few food mantras that have become somewhat sacred in my mind.


#1: Everything tastes better with avocado.* It's true: avocado isn't just for guacamole. Somewhat embarrassingly, I only discovered this when I was 22 living in Dublin, Ireland of all places. There was this great little sandwich shop that I used to stop in when I was on my way from my morning job at the local University to my afternoon job (on a different campus). One day I was feeling quite adventurous and ordered the turkey, cheese, bacon and avocado. For those who don't know, I'm a serious condiment-hater and usually only like meat and cheese (seriously...no condiments, no fillers) on my sandwiches. Anyway...whoa! Why hadn't I tried that before? I realize this sounds silly now, but avocado is the way to go.

*If you're my husband and/or from the Midwest you can insert "bacon" for avocado.



#2: "Whatever you have for dinner tonight, I want you to put cheese on it." This is a true sentence that my husband and I overheard spoken at the Milwaukee airport when we were on our way to visit his mom a couple years ago. Turns out, if you do put cheese on whatever you're eating, it does taste better.



#3: This one is new: everything tastes better in a taco. If you don't believe me, then move to Texas. I'm 18 days into my young Texanhood, and I'm finding I can't make it through the day without a taco. Breakfast taco, lunch taco, dinner taco...if you have some eggs and some cheese and some beans and a little protein (or any combination of the above) wrapped in a soft tortilla, then life is good. And you don't have to be a gourmet cook to make it taste delicious. This morning after a walk around Lady Bird Lake, I found myself sweaty and famished. "I need a taco" was all I could think to get me through the day. It worked. Now all this taco talk has me hungry for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment