4.12.2011

my guys




























It's funny when boys decorate. I'm not talking about boys like David Hicks or Tony Duquette or Nick Olsen, but boys like my husband. When I first met Alex and saw the apartment he shared with his coworker in Spanish Harlem, I discovered that he had no less than 20 baseball caps (of various allegiances) hung on tiny nails meticulously "decorating" all four walls in his room. "Interesting," was all I could think to myself. "I guess he likes hats...or grids or something."

Rewind several years to where Alex lined the walls of his boyhood room with Sports Illustrated covers; fast forward a couple decades to where Alex and I are married and he starts a bobblehead collection, lining them up on the mantle. Before we were trying to sell our house, he lined the top of the kitchen cabinets with empty vodka bottles. While a Stoli Orange bottle has a certain appeal, an empty one--next to a regular Stoli next to Stoli Vanilla--starts to have a certain Leaving Los Vegas appeal.

This past Sunday, when I returned from a weekend in New York City with my sister, I discovered that Alex had once again tapped into his linear decorating skills by lining Catcher's "guys" up on his crib. And while I find it weird, I have to admit that this is the first of Alex's arrangements that I've actually found somewhat artistic. Just don't tell him, because who knows what's next in the lineup.

No comments:

Post a Comment