4.19.2011

i want that!


We've already gone over the fact that I have stalker tendencies (remember the box house, anyone?), so it should come as no surprise that I'm currently stalking a local artist because I want this painting, which has probably sold since I first saw it over a year ago. But let's backup...

On one of those rare week days that Alex and I both found ourselves home and not working on a warm February afternoon, we went for coffee at our favorite local spot--Catcher was in daycare and Scout was in my belly--and then I dragged Alex to this whacked-out vintage store in our neighborhood. We walked inside and my eye was immediately drawn to the back wall where this painting was hung. I can't explain why I love it so much other than to say "when you know, you know." I've always believed that you should invest in a piece of art just because it spoke to you in some way and not because it matches your house or some guy with fancy glasses told you how remarkable it is. So I began obsessing over this piece, and I had daydreams that Alex would surprise me with it for my birthday...or Christmas...or just because. One day I peeked in the store window (it has strange hours and never seems to be open when one would want to shop) and the painting was gone. I don't think Alex bought it.

Last Friday Alex and I went out on a date in our neighborhood, and we ended up at this art bar place that features a revolving gallery of local artists (another establishment that has strange hours, by the way), and what did we see? Not this painting, but three other paintings by this same artist. Thus my obsession was rekindled, and now I've googled and myspaced and facebooked this poor girl, so I know exactly where she works (which happens to be in our neighborhood--these are all signs!) and I'm sending Alex in on a little recon mission to find out if this painting has sold. And then what? Would we really buy it for a house that isn't yet ours, and would I even still want it if I knew it was available? Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah! Just read this & thought I would let you know that I am pretty sure this painting sold because a friend of my brother's bought it. You should definitely go talk to her - I think she did or does work at the Penguin & tell her you know me. I have not met her but my brother, J.C. Mahoney, is friends with her & he actually had her paint a huge portrait of my three nephews which is VERY cool! So you could have her do one of your kids! Good luck on the sale of your house & I really hope you love working at NM!!! Jennifer Mahoney-King

    ReplyDelete