12.27.2010

not quite a dream

There are only five days left in the year 2010. I'm not starting any new projects this last week of the year--a new job beginning January 4th is enough--so the next few days I'll  write about the things I've neglected during the holiday craze. 

First up: a house to replace the pool house? Still searching for a mid-century gem ripe for a makeover from a couple novices (and dreamers!) like Alex and me, I came across this house and decided it was worth a closer look on a recent Sunday afternoon. Below is my commentary on the good and the bad...

Good: location
Bad: street

Good: front door
Bad: entryway (or lack thereof)

Good: large fireplace
Bad: large fireplace

Good: windows
Bad: carpet

Good: appliances (Viking!)
Bad: wood paneling, folding door into dining room, size

Good: windows, potential
Bad: low ceiling

Good: view of the backyard
Bad: view of the neighbor's chain link face


Overall, my impression of the house came down to the one thing we've decided to focus on if (and when) we're ever able to purchase a new home: location. While the interior is in need of a makeover--although not as serious as the aforementioned pool house--it was the questionable street and the ho-hum neighborhood that had Alex and me make up our minds before walking in the front door. I just have to keep reminding myself "buy the neighborhood, not the house."

No comments:

Post a Comment