12.08.2010

be careful what you google...


According to Martha Stewart Living, my source for the faux finish I'm undertaking in Danielle's condo, I need a "horsehair flogger" to achieve the desired woven linen effect on the accent wall. A word to the wise: don't Google horsehair flogger. I had never heard the term horsehair flogger and assumed it was some fancy faux finishing tool crafty people know about, and I was just in the dark (kind of like I still don't know what a dutch oven is but all the recipes in Southern Living call for one). Not so much. It turns out that a horsehair flogger--I feel kind of dirty typing the words--is some sort of sex tool whip contraption. They come in all colors and sizes, in case you're wondering. 

What I believe Ms. Stewart meant when she wrote "horsehair flogger" is horsehair paintbrush, which is way more difficult to find than a horsehair flogger, by the way. So the other night, after exhausting every online possibility for tracking down said horsehair paintbrush, I finally remembered the one place you go when you don't know where to go: eBay. As luck would have it, some guy in Pennsylvania was selling a vintage horsehair barber brush, which looks remarkably similar to the paintbrush featured in the magazine. That should work, right? Lying in bed with my eBay iPhone app, I successfully purchased the brush for $12.41 (including shipping). So now I wait patiently for a few days, and then I'll be ready to move on to step two of the giant faux linen wall.

2 comments:

  1. Never trust a woman who went to jail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8/04/2011

    How funny that this is the first thing that came up after I frantically added the word "brush" to my "horse hair flogger" search string, after being subjected to numerous sex toy results trying to find the same brush from the same Martha Stewart article. How does the internet always know exactly what I'm thinking?

    ReplyDelete