12.29.2010

christmas with the wheats


Alex and I did two things this Christmas that we've never done since we've been married. 1) We stayed home for Christmas, and 2) we ate dinner off of our china. On Christmas Eve we put the babes to bed early and proceeded to prepare ourselves a lovely dinner for two. I use the term "prepare" loosely because there was no actual cooking involved. We picked up some appetizers and sides (asparagus, wedge salad) at Trader Joe's, some wine at the Common Market and a couple of steaks--cooked to order--at Ruth's Chris. The dinner was amazing but even better was the time we were able to spend together in the comfort of our own home. We started a new Christmas tradition, and here's a little rundown of the festivities:

We put the kids to bed, I made us get dressed up, and sent Alex out to pick up the steaks. While he was out hunting and gathering, I prepared the sides. Thank you, Jay, for the little tip about warming up the plates in the oven so I didn't serve a warm steak on a cold plate. By the way, this picture is totally freaking me out. I look really pasty and my arms are weird...just wanted to throw that out there.

After splitting a bottle of wine during dinner, our tipsy selves decided to start opening presents (Christmas day is for the kids, anyway). Alex was psyched to get his gaming on with the PS3.

After I finished the rest of our pre-dinner champagne and Alex downed a couple Fat Tires, we decided it was time to set up the TV I got him. I know. I'm a great wife.

Santa stopped by in the middle of the festivities. We (or I) downloaded Glee Christmas from iTunes and Facetimed my brother and sister-in-law while they (or Katharine) arranged presents around their 8-foot Christmas tree.


In the morning, Catcher went crazy unwrapping all the presents. It was like Christmas morning. Oh wait. It was Christmas morning.

Scout slept...

Catcher opened more presents and ran around the living room like a whirling dervish. 


Scout woke up and started eating her presents.


Catcher calmed down and began organizing his presents on the back of the sofa.

[Not pictured]
Alex and me drinking our Bloddy Marys and watching the magic unfold before us. Best. Christmas. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment