9.01.2010

meeting of the mommies


This morning I did something I've never done before. Not only is it something I've never done but something in a million years I never would have guessed I would ever do--I attended a "moms' group" at my local Starbucks. Here's how it happened:

Scout and I went on our walk as usual this morning. Instead of making a boring--and somewhat tasteless--cup of coffee at home I decided to treat myself to a latte and routed us by the Starbucks. As we strolled through the glass door, we were met by a group of moms--there must have been twelve strollers blocking the entrance--smiling and introducing themselves. I averted my eyes and went about my business ordering a double-tall-vanilla-soy-latte, but I was not safe. The ringleader, Nicole, had locked eyes on my bugaboo and approached me: "Are you here for the Elizabeth moms group?" "No," I sheepishly replied. "Do you live in the neighborhood," she persisted, and the next thing I knew I was sitting down drinking coffee with a group of strangers (moms) and talking about sterilized bags for holding breast milk. It was sorority rush all over again.

The moment was surreal. I had to stop and pinch myself. I couldn't believe I was sitting there, drinking my coffee, listening to the discussion swirl around topics like Bye Bye Baby (I'd never been there), burpy bibs (I'd never heard of them) and snoring husbands (ok...I could relate). Just as I was flipping through the rolodex of excuses in my head as to why I had to dismiss myself, the conversation turned normal. I learned that the girl to my right had moved to Charlotte from New York (so she must be alright; not like the rush chair over there from Mississippi) and we started talking about the Real Housewives of New Jersey and our other favorite shows on Bravo! I also learned that they were all first-time moms with daughters--all girls in the group--ranging in age from four to eight months, so I was kind of the expert. Their doe-eyes looked to me for advice, and we shared our motherhood anecdotes.

The hour I was there passed quickly, and I told myself upon leaving that I shouldn't be so judgmental and harsh on these "mommy" groups. Nicole texted me the website info for the group and told me there's another get-together tomorrow morning. I probably won't go back, but it was nice to step out of my element for the morning. And I think they liked me.

2 comments:

  1. I am dying laughing right now reading this post. Meeting of the mommies is the world I live in, and I'm Nicole attacking unsuspecting moms in bookstores and coffee shops. Actually, I did this to a mom I saw with her baby in a CVS at the pharmacy counter. I didn't stalk her per se, but she looked like someone I could be friends with and her daughter was about Madeline's age (this was when I was a SAHM). Anyway, long story short, she joined our playgroup but unfortunately we lost touch when I went back to work. You can't mix the working moms with the SAHM's, you know. Cat fights ensue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I remember those "mommies groups" from way back...we rotated hostessing. You were expected to have fresh baked cookies, tea and coffee, have on a dress...you know one of this denim things that hung to your ankles, or a wrap skirt and tee shirt...and you had to pretend like you really cared about what the husbands were doing to climb that ever important business ladder. Needless to say, I wasn't a very good member of the group and quickly found other things to occupy my time, like having more babies! Now that, I liked!!

    ReplyDelete