10.26.2014

two ballerinas and a jawa

I think I'm still recovering from Friday night's Fall Carnival at Catcher's school. (Or else I'm recovering from the costume party I attended last night, but that's another story.) Back to Friday...

Alex was home and mixed up a couple adult cocktails for our walk to the school. Unbeknownst to me, he slipped an extra shot of tequila into my margarita, so I was pretty tipsy by the time we reached the school grounds. Perhaps that's why I enjoyed myself so much at the carnival this year.

Our strategy with the children was divide and conquer. Catcher chose me to accompany (i.e. follow) him around the campus this year, so Alex was on girl duty. He spent most of his time playing kiddie games in the gymnasium and snacking on popcorn while I was getting the crap scared out of me in the haunted house. The elementary school children didn't think it was frightening; I did.

Our group met up in the auditorium for the classic cake walk and costume contest. The place was packed with zombie cheerleaders and zombie babies and zombie hunters. I'm guessing zombies are a "thing." I wouldn't allow Scout and Tillie to wear their actual Halloween costumes to the carnival (Scout's is white--enough said), so the girls raided their dress-up bin and decided to be ballerinas for the night. Catcher wasn't going to wear a costume and then he was and then he wasn't and then he was again. He finally decided his Star Wars Jawa costume was too good to wear only on Halloween night. There was a small breakdown, however, when part of his mask fell apart. Once the tears were glistening in his little eyeballs, that was our cue to get the heck out of dodge before the dominos fell. In our haste to make it to the car through the (now dark) schoolyard, we forgot to grab the pumpkin we had entered in the pumpkin carving contest. I didn't see it, so I can't substantiate the claim, but Catcher says he saw ours and it had won second place. I guess it's really Alex's pumpkin. Nice work, babe.




No comments:

Post a Comment