5.16.2013

you look familiar


It happens to me all the time. People swear they know me. They don't think I look like anyone specific, as in a case of mistaken identity, but they think I look familiar. It's happened to me enough times in my life that I don't think it's a coincidence. Kind of like I've personally been shat upon by a bird at least three--but I think more like four--times in my life. That is no coincidence either--it means something (but I'm not exactly sure what).

But back to the looking familiar thing. The most recent incident occurred last week at the YMCA. While sitting on a bench by the pool during Catcher's swim lessons, a mom came up and introduced herself to me. I forget her name, but she said something like "You look so familiar to me. Are you ever in so-and-so's playgroups?" I am definitely not in so-and-so's play groups, and I've never seen you before in my life, lady. But don't fret--you're not the only one who thinks they know me.

At the Capitol Easter Egg Hunt this year, an elderly woman approached me and introduced herself. "Tell me your name," she said in her sweet southern drawl. "Sarah Wheat," I replied. "No," she shook her head, "that doesn't ring a bell. Oh well. I've taught lots of students. I can't remember everyone's name." Guess what sweet old lady, you didn't teach me.

Last year when I first moved to Austin I was six months pregnant hanging out with Catcher and Scout at the playground when another mom approached me and asked me if she knew me from TCU. "No, I didn't go there," I replied. "Are you from Corpus?" she persisted. I'm not even sure what Corpus is.

When I lived in Charlotte a girl walked into the store where I was working and, surprise, asked me how she knew me. She asked if I was from Chapel Hill or maybe if I went to Chapel Hill "Nope," I said. "Virginia." (The answer "Virginia" sufficiently answers either question). "Oh. Did you ever live in Richmond?" No I did not live in Richmond, but my sister did for a few years. She didn't know her.

Those are just some of the stories. There are truly too many to count. When I spent a semester in Spain someone there thought they knew me and that I was Italian (seriously?).

So if you look like me and you're bebopping around the towns where I live or travel, make sure you behave yourself so I don't get a bad reputation. By the way, you look really familiar to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment