5.08.2013

next year is almost here


The answer is yes. The question is: will I cry on Catcher's first day of kindergarten next fall? I know the answer because yesterday was kindergarten registration. And I cried. I didn't cry cry, but I definitely got a little choked up when the incoming parents were treated to an introductory Lee Elementary video during the first few minutes of orientation. Even the smell of the cafeteria didn't bother me when the young students projected on the screen looked out and said, "Thank you, Mom and Dad for sending me to Lee." It was Oscar-worthy.

My morning with Catcher began with a lovely walk to Lee Elementary. Catcher kind of skip-ran because he could hardly contain his enthusiasm, but it was nice to enjoy a peaceful moment with just the two of us. I timed our walk--for future reference, not because I'm that much of a dork--and it took us just shy of 15 minutes door-to-door. When we arrived at the school we were directed to the cafeteria where I saw nervous parents and jaded parents and parents that were running late and those who had arrived way too early. That morning I was wearing my "this is my first kid to go to kindergarten but I'm totally cool and not nervous and would never get emotional about it" hat. But then I did get (slightly) emotional and decided we [parents] are all pretty much the same when it comes down to it. 

After we spotted two of Catcher's current preschool mates and settled into our seats, the children were quickly whisked away and ushered into the library where they met the school's three kindergarten teachers and completed a series of puzzles, drawings and alphabet games (I secretly think they were "testing" the kids, but don't tell anyone). When we rejoined our little ones in the library, next on the agenda was heading to the auditorium for a "Dinosaurs" program that was performed by the current class of kindergartners. I mean, so cute. If were weren't already filled with Lee pride by the end of that bit of propaganda, the principal came back to bid her farewells and remind us to take a Lee Elementary tee shirt on our way out the door. In fact, make sure you get one for every member of the family--there are adult sizes, too!  When we got home, after I made Catcher pose for a snapshot while holding onto his tee shirt, he dressed his bear it.


Catcher wore his shirt to bed last night.

And Scout wore hers.

And I wore mine.

And Alex wore his.

They didn't have baby sizes (sorry, Tillie).

I'm pretty sure that LEE bumper sticker they gave us in our welcome packet is going to end up on the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment