5.24.2011

happy birthday to sassy!


Can you believe it? This blog is one year-old today, and today is my 251st post. While 251 is slightly less than my projected average of 5 posts per week (that would equal 260), I can't complain. 

Let's take a look over the past year, shall we? Here's a list of things that I thought would have happened over the past year but have not:

- our house sold
- we live in a box house
- we're elbow-deep in projects rehabbing a mid-centry gem (if said "box house" didn't work out)
- we packed and unpacked an entire house
- we moved boxes from room to room to room to avoid the inevitable unpacking
- catcher has his own room
- scout has her own room
- I have a bigger kitchen with newer appliances and I actually cook on occasion
- we have a great outdoor living space -- just in time for the warm weather
- we (and I mean the adults) have our own bathroom
- I finally got started on the many projects in my head: reupholstering, making a headboard, etc.
- we've painted all the rooms in the house and I'm thinking about repainting some of them as I type
- I tried out for HGTV's Design Star

The list could go on, but let me interject with some things that have happened over the past year that I thought would not:

- I almost had a baby on the front porch
- I had a baby without an epidural
- the baby came home from the hospital and slept in our room for 6? 8? months...I've lost track
- the baby and Catcher are now sharing a room
- our house is still on the market
- I'm completely over the box house
- I'm kind of into yard work
- I've started cooking dinner about 4 nights a week
- we're going to be on HGTV's My First Sale
- Boston Rob won Survivor

So there you have it: my year in a nutshell. While over the past year I expected to learn things about myself like how many boxes I could successfully Tetris (yes, I'm using the game Tetris as a verb) into the back of a U-Haul or how long it takes to pick out the perfect shade of white, I actually learned some other things. I learned that a family of four can live in 847 square feet. I learned that I can sometimes be a little psycho about keeping 847 square feet clean (sorry, babe). I learned that it doesn't matter if your "dream" house sells right in front of your eyes because you're going to change your mind in a couple months anyway. I learned that the term "dream house" is trite, and I'd like to remove it from my vocabulary (along with "pop of color"). I learned that life is ever-changing, so this blog has only just begun.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. While I am happy to be out of 630 square feet now, we have the best memories of our family of 4 living in that 630 square feet and the experience completely transformed our thinking about home.

    ReplyDelete