9.15.2013

limsanity

Image from Refinery29

I'm dedicating this post to my children because I brought them along on my wild ride in an earnest attempt to capture just one item from this year's most talked about designer collaboration--at least until Isabel Marant pairs up with H&M in November--3.1 Phillip Lim for Target. With a line out the door at 7:58am (in Austin?!) as we pulled into the parking lot and scrambling inside reminiscent of my Kate Spade sample sale experience in 1999 New York, I thought twice about my mission. Then again, I had already invested the time getting everyone fed, dressed and to the Target by 8:00am on a Sunday morning...and all that clambering made it seem imperative that I walk away with something.

There was only one something that I truly, truly wanted, and it's almost embarrassing to admit that I was on the Target website at 3:07am looking for that something. Yes, this is the part of the story that I haven't yet admitted, even to myself, because it might make me a bonafide crazy person. Crazy like the people that gather in the wee hours of the morning to shop a Black Friday sale. However, in my defense, I'm a light sleeper and wake several times during the night every night. Last night it just so happened that I woke at 3:07am, and I just happened to have my laptop lying on the bed beside me in Alex's absence; thus, I just happened to click on the Target website to see if the 3.1 Phillip Lim madness had begun. It had. I quickly placed the Mini Satchel with Gusset (in yellow, of course!) in my shopping cart and proceeded to browse the rest of the collection. When I was ready to check out several short minutes later, I found that the bag was no longer in my cart because it had--gasp!--sold out.

It's probably too late to make a long story short at this point, but I'll gallop through the rest of the story as quickly as possible. Kids. Target. 7:58am. Inside. 8:01am. Bag gone. Hear rumors that Target employee is going "to the back" to restock bags. Wait. Wheel kids around in the cart to keep them happy. Wait some more. Promise Starbucks cookies for the little ones. See Target employee coming. No yellow bag on giant cart. Several of the same bag in black and taupe. No yellow, though. Crazies swarm the cart. Undecided shopper quietly places yellow bag on now-empty original bag display. I see it. I grab it (maybe while her fingers are still lightly grazing the handle, or maybe not). Score!

On the way out, I also help myself to the floral print blouse because...why not?

True story, and now you can call me crazy.

p.s. I just happened upon the photo above after the whole shopping extravaganza. Pure coincidence that those are the two exact items I purchased at the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment