8.28.2013

it isn't a party until something gets broken



Here is what broke in our house today: one cereal bowl, which came crashing to the ground during breakfast around 6:45am and one bed, which came crashing to the ground after dinner around 6:45pm. In between the shattered porcelain bowl and the splintered wooden bed frame, we actually had a nice day. This morning while Alex walked Catcher to school, the ladies took turns reading Olivia on big brother's bed. Then we drove Alex to the airport, and Scout started her first day of preschool. Tillie and I enjoyed a sibling-free morning together and bonded over zucchini-mozzarella quesadillas for lunch.

The afternoon didn't get wild until the big kids got home from their respective schools, and the chaos culminated during FaceTime with Alex when the aforementioned bed (Scout's, of course) came tumbling down. My back was turned on the action, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the prancercizing Scout had been performing on the mattress. Perhaps I shouldn't have served the rest of my leftover birthday cake for dessert tonight.

I did not take a picture of the broken bed in all its glory because seconds later Tillie tripped, bit her lip and spewed blood all over my white tee shirt (Catcher advised that I throw it in the trash). Scout offered the suggestion of "taping" the bed, but I think it was a bigger job than Scotch could handle. In the end, I disassembled what remained of the bed and tucked Scout into her mattress on the floor.

What's funny about Scout's bed breaking, by the way, is that Alex was asking me yesterday when we would start looking into a "big girl" bed for Tillie. I guess we have our answer now--after we find another big girl bed for Scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment