8.03.2013

balloons take flight


It's summer break. The afternoons are scorching. At least one of my kids is up before dawn every morning. Normally these things together would amount to three strikes against me, but today they created the perfect opportunity to discover something new. Yesterday I learned about the Central Texas Ballooning Association (who knew there was such a thing?) and their annual Lake Travis flight, courtesy of my friends over at Free Fun in Austin.

In a nutshell, these balloon people gather once a year at Mansfield Dam Park overlooking Lake Travis for an adventure that takes them whichever way the wind blows. The flights begin at sunrise, which was around 6:45 this morning, and watching the balloons take off against the rising sun is an awesome sight to behold. Or am I the only one who dreams of riding in a hot air balloon someday? Either way, I thought it would be a great adventure for the kids, and the experience did not disappoint. I wish we had arrived a bit earlier--we pulled in around 6:30--to get a closer view of the action, but there's always next year (even though Scout called it boring...I think she was just disappointed that she wasn't going for a ride).










No comments:

Post a Comment