6.03.2013

the hand is quicker than the eye

You know that game. The one where there are three shells and a ball hiding under one of them. You try to guess where the ball is hiding, but you can never win (because it's a scam). It's popular in Europe and cities like New York--or anywhere you find gullible tourists. I call it the shell game, but apparently it has an official name, which I never would have guessed: thimblerig.

Today while the girls were napping, I taught Catcher the game. We used stacking blocks and a plastic oil barrel from one of his trucks as our shells and ball. Not that I'm trying to instill the gambling spirit in my children, but it was a good way to pass an hour or so. (It also teaches good hand-eye coordination, right?) Along with my lesson came a second lesson that if he ever finds himself in a big city and sees this game in action to walk away. "Don't give your money to those people," I said. "But what if I'm the one moving the ball around?" He retorted.

You tell me: would you trust this guy?



No comments:

Post a Comment