6.06.2013

so long, farewell

This time last year we were packing up our apartment on South Congress Avenue on our way to a new house in Hyde Park. Since our move, I can count on one hand the number of times I've been back to our old haunts in South Austin. It's funny how quickly you become immersed in a new neighborhood. I can't even remember how I used to get to the Target in South Austin. Crazy.

Today was one of the times we returned to our old hood for a play date at Little Stacy Park. I knew our route would take us down South Congress, and I also knew the food trucks taking up valuable retail space there would soon disappear. I had read an article that some boutique hotel is set to break ground on the lot credited with launching the food truck craze, so I had my camera in tow to get pictures of the little ones on a backdrop of technicolor food truck glory. As we drove past the lot, this is what I found:


I guess I was a little late to the party on that one because the trucks are gone. They aren't gone gone, like vanished from existence. I'm told the trucks have set up shop elsewhere in Austin, but it was strange to see how much something can change in a year. I didn't bother getting out of the car to photograph an empty lot--I shot this with my phone as we approached the intersection of South Congress and Monroe--but I did drive one block north to let the children see that Hey Cupcake! is alive and kicking. At least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment