4.05.2013

twinkle toes



I remember when Catcher was born I wanted a picture of his perfect little baby feet. I thought there was nothing cuter in the world. I never managed to capture that perfect pose, so when Scout came along two years later I tried again. Pictured above is the best that I got, which isn't exactly the sweet picture of tiny feet I had envisioned. [Disclaimer: I don't have a weird foot fetish or anything, I just think baby feet are cute. Simple as that.]

The funny thing about cute little baby feet, however, is that they grow. This is one of the things they don't mention in parenting books: the number of toenails (and fingernails, too) that you will be responsible for as a mother. Catcher has these crazy finger- and toenails that seem to grow at three times the rate of a normal child. I find myself clipping them once a week while asking, "Didn't we just do this?" Cutting the toenails of a four year-old is pretty gross and stinky. And don't get me started on the fingernails. Long, dirty fingernails have always been a pet peeve of mine. I'm a little embarrassed every time I discover a wild nail on Catcher--what must the teachers think? It makes me shiver just thinking about it.


Scout, on the other hand, is at the age where she wants colored toenails (we haven't broached the subject of fingernails yet--that might be a little too Honey Boo Boo for me at two and a-half). But doing her toes is cute and funny because she calls the polish paint and she's worried that it's going to go down the drain in the shower. Her feet are pretty stinky, too, but the blue nail polish kind of cancels that out. Tillie, thank goodness, still has sweet little baby feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment