4.27.2013

the 2nd half of the day


Today was one of those impossibly long days. The whole gang was up at 6:30--to be accurate, I was having a dream when Catcher woke me up at 6:32--for an 8:00am soccer game. Collectively by noon we had had breakfast, attended the soccer game, worked out at the Y and devoured two snacks and lunch. The ladies were exhausted. When I put them down for their naps at 12:06 I knew it was going to be a long afternoon.

I'm not even sure what I did while the girls were napping. Catcher was insisting we play football in the front yard, but my excuse was not having any shoes (they were upstairs in my bedroom where Tillie was napping). I think we read some stories. Oh...and I took a shower while Catcher worked on his Legos. That was amazing.

When the girls woke up around 2:00, here is how the rest of our day transpired:


After napping it always takes Scout a few minutes to re-acclimate to the waking world.


Not pictured: the little guys had yet another snack and Tillie took five steps all by herself in the kitchen. I baited her with some goldfish. I tried getting a picture, but when she saw the camera she was only interested in me turning it around so she could look at the LCD screen. I swear it happened, though.

After the snack it was time for a little walk/scooter-bike ride that culminated in a rock climb (of sorts) at our neighborhood Sparky Park.




That was fun, but when we got home (still not even 4:00 yet) Catcher came up with the idea of having a pillow fight on my bed. The kids were sweaty and dirty. I thought about it. No way. Then I looked at the clock--3:38. Then I thought about it again. Sure...why not?


At 4:30 the kids were asking for dinner. I wasn't going to fight them on that one, so I threw together one of my specialties--shells and cheese for the girls and tomato soup for Catcher--and hoped it would take them three times as long to eat it as it took me to make it. Catcher picked out the "slow jams" playlist on my Songza app, so that created an interesting atmosphere at the table. 

After their baths I let the little crazies run wild around the house because it was still only 5:56pm.


Scout enjoys her naked time after the bath. She'll hate me some day for this picture, but seriously...how cute is that? I couldn't resist.


Catcher was prancing around the foot of his bed preaching about something. I'm sure he was trying to reason with me about how he should be able to watch two shows tonight because last night was movie night and he watched Shrek, which he tried to watch two Fridays ago but the DVD player wasn't working because the batteries in the remote were dead...and that somehow necessitated two new shows tonight.

But then leave it to Catcher to be a part of the day's sweetest moment. His kiss on Tillie's forehead was totally unscripted and I can't believe my luck in capturing it.


And that was Saturday. What will we do tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment