4.16.2013

jump around





I got another book on photography. It looks like I've found a new hobby, so you'll have to bear with me--or suffer through--as I try to figure this thing out. The new book is Beyond Snapshots, and just reading 40 pages today has given me a better understanding of my camera then after sifting through the owner's guide 20 or so times. This afternoon I gave myself a tutorial in freezing motion--remember, my camera is now, and forever will be, off auto mode. Catcher was happy to participate in my little experiment.


The more I read the more I realize I have a lot to learn. But my new photography obsession (for lack of a better word) has caused me to reflect on the evolution of this blog. It's funny to think back to how The Sassy Shack started as diary of sorts to document the sale of our house in Charlotte. I was a working mom at the time with only one child, although I was pregnant with Scout. I thought that we would sell our house and buy a "fix-it-upper" to make our own. The blog would chronicle the ups and downs of home renovation. I would remain a working mother and spend my evenings blogging about paint colors, bathroom tile and fluffing pillows. I had no idea that the sale, or lack there of, of our house would land us on a reality TV show (my secret dream) or that a year after starting the blog I would be pregnant again (that's #3) and about to move halfway across the country. The real kicker is that once we landed in Austin I became a stay-at-home mom whose main objective is making it through the day. And it turns out that there was a new inspiration slowly creeping into the driver's seat of this blog: my three children.


Maybe it turns out that my "job" (in addition to the little things like carpool and keeping the house clean and reminding Alex to take out the trash) is documenting the lives of these amazing creatures. Life is nothing if not unpredictable, and that's why I've never put myself on a five-year (or even one-year) plan. I'll still write about paint colors and my decorating tips, but look for more, albeit experimental at this stage, photography as The Sassy Shack continues to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment