7.15.2011

la playa

We left for Mexico on the morning of Catcher's third birthday. As is our tradition--a tradition because it was the last thing I had to eat before my water broke and we went to the hospital to have Catcher--we had Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast. Then we headed to the airport and took off for Playa del Carmen. The flight was relatively uneventful (if you skip the part where Scout went Baby Matrix in my arms and knocked my coffee all over the gentleman sitting next to me) and we were through Customs on the other side before most college kids are awake. Although there were hurricane-like rain showers when we arrived and we were flooded out of our first room, and Scout threw-up at dinner--causing me to miss Catcher's ice cream birthday celebration--the trip was great. I didn't have to cook, clean, do laundry or get the kids to and from daycare for four days. I got to take afternoon naps under the shade of giant umbrella with the warm ocean breeze blowing over me and swing from the hammock on our balcony at night. The kids loved the water (and the sand) and they were out before dinner was even digested. I got used to the wild calls of the Mexican birds waking us up every morning and the coffee that Alex would bring me in bed before the sun barely peeked over the horizon. It was exactly the vacation we needed before packing up the house, driving 19 hours through the southern United States to arrive at a vacant apartment in Austin where we'll wait approximately 1-2 business days for our precious belongings to arrive.

But back to Mexico...here's a look at some of the fun:


Don't let the rain fool you. Our vacation may have started with a flood, but it was all sunny skies and fruity drinks after that.


Catcher and his dad woke up early the morning after his birthday to watch the sunrise.


Sandcastles and beautiful blue waters.


Scout enjoying her afternoon nap with Dad.




Alex and Scout enjoying happy hour.


Catcher enjoying happy hour. Should I be concerned that when he woke up at 6:30 the next morning the first thing he asked for was a daiquiri?


Another day...another afternoon nap for sleeping beauty on the beach.


Mmmmm...sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment