1.24.2012

mac attack

Roadfood

When we lived in Charlotte there was this great dive, Lupie's, just seconds from our home that introduced me to the best winter comfort food of all-time: chili mac. Admittedly I can be somewhat of a neophyte when it comes to all things food-related, so cheese (hold the onions) on top of chili on top of spaghetti with a side of cornbread was new to me when we took the plunge from the Northeast to the South in 2005. Three years later chili mac became my go-to comfort food when I was pregnant with Catcher (winter pregnant, not middle of the summer pregnant) and it satisfied my cravings with Scout, too.

This January has been sunny and beautiful in Austin, and I haven't thought of chili mac once...until today. Thus far my late-stage pregnancy indulgences have centered around milkshakes--specifically of the peppermint variety from local burger stand P. Terry's. But today was rainy and cold. I use the term "cold" loosely because it was 62 degrees; however, compared to the 75+ we've been enjoying the past week, it was cold. And I wanted chili mac. I'm sure in the place where chili is the official state food I wouldn't have to look long to find a decent bowl of chili mac, but you can't beat the mismatched dinnerware and mason jars from Lupie's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment