1.16.2012

just the facts




Every time we drive near/past the Capitol building in Austin, Catcher asks if we can go inside. I've been promising him for months that we will visit it some day. Today I made good on that promise, and I learned a couple things about this state that I now call home:

- The official state snack is tortilla chips and salsa. I was more surprised by the fact that there's an official state snack than what that snack actually is. By the way, the state food is chili (shocking, right?).

- The state motto is not Don't Mess with Texas; it is Friendship.

I also learned that a guided tour of the Capitol is not possible with a 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 year-old in tow, but we did get to take a peek inside the State Senate and House of Representatives chambers. Catcher wanted to go behind the velvet rope and sit down in the Senate. I told him he'll need to get some constituents to back him up, and maybe he'll have his own seat in here one day:



Below is a view from inside the rotunda looking up. Yes, that's the star of Texas shining down on you.


The Capitol Visitor's Center was a short walk across the lawn where Catcher and Scout got to explore a little Texas state history. The covered wagon was a hit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment