1.25.2012

greetings from hell's kitchen



Alex is in New York for 48-ish hours, so he took a moment away from work to snap this photo of our old hood (Alex: if you're reading this and it's not too late, I wouldn't mind a cornmeal lime cookie from Amy's...thanks! p.s. I know you were there for coffee this morning). One of the things that I love about New York is that it's constantly changing yet stays the same. Even though the best restaurants and places to be seen change quicker than a cabbie's shift, the pace and energy of the city are unmovable. This picture could have been taken in 2005 when Alex and I moved out of our apartment or in 1999 when I first arrived in New York. The same could be said about this snapshot of the door to our building (below).


416 West 47th Street is where Alex and I started our lives together--first in 4D and then 2C. In 4D Alex used a mini screwdriver to painstakingly assemble a build-your-own wardrobe from Bed Bath & Beyond. He made deadly margaritas and we ate pounds of guacamole. He once hid in the shower when he heard me clomping up the stairs from work one evening, and I've never been so scared in my life. In 2C we cleaned 40 years worth of grime off the windows and hosted the best Christmakuh party ever. We painted the walls red, green and orange, and I threw my engagement ring at Alex one morning when I wanted to prove a point. We read the Sunday times and listened to CD's while falling asleep at night (on the CD player Alex bought me the first Christmas we spent together). We came up with the name Catcher that we would someday name our future child. We ate the wedding cake that we were supposed to save for our first anniversary the night before we left for our honeymoon, and six months later we said goodbye to New York from the U-Haul parked in front of our building.

We've started a family and made a second major move since that balmy July morning, but the traffic remains and the cabs are still yellow in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment