2.27.2013

delish


This summer when I was visiting my brother and his family, we saw a diner featured on the Food Network that made a sandwich with a grilled cheese waffle (if you can follow that logic) inside. Anyway, my brother immediately brought out his waffle iron and attempted to make a grilled cheese waffle. On the fly he whipped up a little fancy sauce--I can't remember what he called it, something that sounded french--to give the mac n' cheese a more batter-y consistency, and it worked! I've never watched a cooking show and subsequently attempted to recreate what I just saw; however, the cooking segment during yesterday's Today Show inspired me.

Fried grilled cheese, anyone? While I was running on the treadmill--working up an appetite--yesterday, they made a fried grilled cheese (I said it again) sandwich on the Today Show. The ingredients were simple, and the method was easy enough for me to remember without going through the added pain of searching their website to find the recipe. All I needed for this dish was some sort of rustic bread [check], fresh mozzarella [check], flour [check], egg [check] and olive oil for frying [check]. Thank goodness I had just visited the grocery store two days earlier.

So this is how it went down: put some mozzarella (I sprinkled mine with salt and freshly ground pepper first) in a sandwich, cover the sandwich with flour, dip it in egg, drop it in a frying pan with hot oil. Cook it like you would a grilled cheese, and voila! Easy, right? On the Today Show they served their sandwich with some sort of rosemary butter or something, but I figured the fried cheese thing would be flavorful enough (it was). I made the sandwiches for Alex and me at lunch this afternoon and then tried them out on the kids at dinner. Catcher said it was "delish," and I knew I had succeeded. Next time I might try to sneak something green in them...

No comments:

Post a Comment