2.21.2013

airport shuttle


Alex and I have the same car. By same car, I don't mean that we're two people who happen to love Ford Explorers and each own one; by same car, I mean we drive the exact same car (read: we share a car). While this seems very cool and green and environmentally conscious in Austin, it also means that I'm at the airport--on average--about four times a week. Honestly, though, I don't really mind serving as the airport shuttle. It gives the kids and me something to do to break up our day, and it's funny how Catcher used to think--and now Scout sometimes thinks--that Alex works on an airplane.

Besides, there's always something marginally interesting going on during the 15 minute drive through the not-so-great part of Austin. One morning we saw a man with a wild mustache and slicked-back 70s hair (dressed in a cheap leisure suit, by the way) running with a suitcase--not a briefcase--to catch the bus. The suitcase was the kind people used to carry before some genius put wheels on them. It looked like it was from the same era as his clothing and hairstyle. But seriously...what was in that suitcase? It looked heavy. Alex and I made up our own story (hint: the suitcase was big enough that I could have contorted my body to fit inside). Use your imagination.

There's also a game that we often find ourselves playing called "What's in the Baby Stroller?" I don't know what it is about roads that lead to the airport, but in my experience there's always some group of shady characters pushing a baby stroller next to four lanes of traffic. When there isn't a baby in the stroller (sometimes it's "groceries," sometimes it's "laundry"), you should look for a bundle in the arms of one of the motley crew--that's probably a baby...or else just more laundry.

Alex's flight today didn't take off until 3:00pm. Generally, early morning trips to the airport are more interesting than mid-afternoon, but today I did learn that McDonald's is having a "hiring event" on February 25. Oh, and Rodeo Austin is coming up. (I didn't even know there was a Rodeo Austin.) Yee haw!

No comments:

Post a Comment