2.05.2013

birthday cake, part 1

I know the suspense over Tillie's birthday cake is killing you, so here's a look at part one (of three) of the great cake extravaganza: birthday cake crumbs. Because I can't keep it a secret forever, the cake I'm making is a slight adaptation of the Momofuku Milk Bar (say that five times real fast) Birthday Cake. The recipe I'm using comes from the Huffington Post. All the other recipes I found for this cake were measured in grams--apparently that's what real bakers use--and since I don't have a kitchen scale, I googled around until I found the "dumb" version. In any event, yesterday Catcher and I tackled the "crumbs" portion of the cake, and this is how they look. Pretty yum. 

I'm not a food blogger, so I won't give you the step-by-step tutorial/photo diagram of the entire cake-making process. I'll go ahead and spoil the surprise that the actual baking portion seemed to turn out okay this afternoon. Tomorrow we tackle the frosting, which is the most important part of the cake in Catcher's estimation. Personally, I'm excited to bring out the fancy cake stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment